Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Voki: Ms. Champ's Avatar



For this assignment I was required to register with Voki and create an avatar that introduced who I am.  I did have to register and I did receive a username and password.  I then created an avatar.  You can select the type: male, female, and/or other.  You can also change your eyes, hair, height, and many more features.  I then added an introduction (through text) about who I am.  I learned through the Voki assignment that students can design characters to match the text they might be reading or researching.  I did look through Voki's Lesson Plans and discovered many usable activities/lessons that I could use for my fifth grade classroom.  I believe this is a great assignment for Jigsaw learning.  For social studies each student can be assigned a different character from any given time frame and create a Voki (you can determine word minimum and maximum) that represents your character.  For science, each student could be assigned an animal and/or an important scientist.  When students then produce their final avatars to the class, the class then learns from the other students about the important concepts and who these people were remembered for.  I can definitely see the importance in using avatars in the classroom.  Once again, this is an innovative lesson that enables students to explore different types of learning experiences.  In particular, students with special needs or struggles would appreciate the assignment.  It would be "fun."  Also, this would be a great "unconventional" assessment that the students wouldn't even see coming! (:


NETS for Teachers: I feel that this lesson meets many of the tech standards.  This lesson would most definitely inspire student learning and me teaching it to them would be me facilitating.  It's also very creative.  I could use my knowledge of avatars to create a virtual environment where my students can enjoy engaging in academics on the technology level.  By creating and using avatars I am modeling digital-age work and learning.  Avatars are the new thing in our digital society.  Lesson plans are being designed around the idea and using these tools are beneficial to any instructor of learners.  I am once again promoting digital-age citizenship and responsibility and my students can learn from that behavior.  I also am constantly engaging in professional growth and leadership and believe it is a vital part of being the best when working in teh line of education.  My goal is to never stop learning, model these experiences for my students, and then provide them technology-rich lessons that "boggle" their minds! #technology


No comments:

Post a Comment