Thursday, July 18, 2013

Excel 2: T-Test

Upon reading the assignment and working on the activity, I think it was one of the more challenging activities we have had.  Understanding the "t test" and how it works was a difficult concept for me to fully comprehend.  I did use Excel to develop descriptive statistics on both the males and females from the NCES State Comparison's Website found in the prevous activity.  The males generated the following data:
The females generated the following data: 
After doing this, I simply used the Data Analysis tool again and selected:
I then generated the following data:
I also used the T-Test Statistics Calculator online and generated the following data:

Looking at the results makes me think that there is no statistical difference, but upon closer examination I noticed the E-07 which told me about the scientific notation and the results were less than .05 for both the P(T<=t) one-tail test and P(T<=t) two-tail test.  With the results of both tests being less than .05 there is a significant difference between the national results for males and females.  Now if the results were greater than .05 we would accept the null hypothesis, that there is no difference, but my results show there is a difference.

I would like to do research on student behaviors in correlation with implementing a positive behavior supports system (PBS) built by the teachers themselves.  I would like to compare data from previous years (no PBS implemented) to data that generated after a PBS was implemented.  The study's participants would be approximately 165 seventh and eighth graders, male and female students that range in age from 12-15 years old.  The independent variable would be the actual PBS itself (the rules, expectations, and procedures do not change).  The dependent variable would be the students and their positive and negative behaviors.  My research question would be: Does implementing a positive behavior system in the middle school make a difference on positive and negative behaviors (discipline).  My hypothesis is that there would be a significance and that the PBS will result in more positive behaviors at the middle school level and that the number of office referrals will decrease from office referrals in the past (prior to a PBS).  My null hypothesis is that there would be no significant difference and that a PBS would not result in positive behaviors and that there would be no difference in the number of office referrals or an increase in the number of office referrals (discipline). 

No comments:

Post a Comment